Saturday, February 17, 2007

Servanthood? No Fun!

Servanthood is an essential part of being a Christian. Think about it for just a second. What if no one you knew was willing to do anything for anyone else? What if they thought of no one but themselves?

I know that many people wouldn't be Christians today without some people demonstrating servanthood. But, first, think. What is servanthood?

Well, servanthood is getting rid of the words me, myself, and I. To be a servant you have to put yourself last. To be a servant is to consider others better than you. A servant never does anything for his own gain, but to further the kingdom of Christ. I'm not saying you shouldn't participate in anything (school, church, reading books, drawing etc.). But, you have to consider how that might help you serve others (and ultimately Christ!) better. To me (oops, that word again!), servanthood isn't a thing you religiously practice one hour a week. Servanthood is a mindset.

But, true servanthood is not doing something for others and mumbling and grumbling. Or even thinking about where you would rather be. Servanthood is so completely in submission that a servant doesn't consider what is best for himself (or herself).

To be a servant you must consider your master. Jesus is the ultimate example of servanthood. He came not to please himself but to serve others. Look to him for your example.

Quite honestly, I wish I could say that this is what I do all the time. But, it isn't. Trust me, to be a servant it takes work and time. You aren't going to become the greatest servant ever in a day or two.

No comments: