Friday, January 19, 2007

A Little Bit More on My Testimony (So Long Self)

Yeah I know you are probably frustrated but I think that this is an important lesson, that I have had to learn. Hopefully by reading this you won't have to learn it the hard way.
I wrote in my testimony this: "On Thursday night, Bro. Shannon Caudle was preaching. When he asked us to come forward if we wanted to be saved, I wanted to so bad. But, come on! I was a pastor's daughter! Besides, everyone already thought I was saved!"

Well, I think that the words in bold are really sad. You see, everyone at our church thought I was saved. Even my parents. Not even my best friend knew I wasn't. I wasn't (am not to this day) the kind of person who just spills everything. I hold (almost all) all of my little secrets close. My problem was though, that I was proud. I was a PK (pastor's kid)! What would people think of me?! What could I be thinking?! That was basically what the Devil tried so hard to tell me. My pride rebelled at the thought of people thinking that I wasn't saved before. Yet, I went. Really it was pride that told me that I should fake getting saved in the first place. I was proud because one of my older brothers got saved when he was five, so why shouldn't I?

"Well, the only problem there was I didn't understand what I needed to understand and I really hadn't gotten saved." I am not banging on early life conversions. My oldest brother got saved when he was five. My older brother's was real. It simply was, mine wasn't. But, back to the pride thing. I am (to this day) still very self conscious about me. That isn't as much pride as embarassment, but I still need to get out of it. Self-consciousness that night almost prevented me from getting saved. Never let embarassment shape your life. But, pride is a battle everyone has to face daily. So many things have happened in history simply becuase of pride. It has destroyed many people's lives. Everyone has to battle it. I have to face it daily. (Because, gues what? I'm certaintly not perfect) Being humble (the opposite of being prideful) means giving up rights to me, myself and I. Think about what that would mean for you. It is a long and uphill battle. But the rewards in heaven will be worth it all. I just want to hear God say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." That's it. Sure I'd like a mansion, and harp lessons wouldn't be bad. (just kidding) But, that isn't what I should be living for. I need to live humbly before my God. (Micah 6:8)

So long self/well it's been fun/but I've found somebody else/so long self/there's just no room for two/so you are going to have to move- MercyMe "So Long Self"

PS This really wasn't just "A Little Bit More on My Testimony" was it? :P Oh well.
PSS I don't stay on task real well, do I? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "not staying on task" thing must run in the family cuz i have it too!
:)
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Wonderful thoughts, girl!
This really hits me close to home, I struggle with pride and selfconciousness like all the time everyday...
anyway, your blog really blesses me, and I love watching you grow in grace. (you were appropriately named, if I may say so ;P)
love, me