Monday, April 09, 2007

Sing 'Em...Mean 'Em

I love to sing -though I'm not good at it- but, lately, I've noticed some things. On Sunday mornings I sing in the choir, and I look down at all the people from the choir loft. The expressions are funny- some blank, some asleep, but there are a few who seem to be worshipping and awake. But, most don't seem to mean what they sing. Do you?

It wasn't until lately that I actually started noticing the words, and what they meant. I mean, I sing along with the radio all the time, but I sing and don't pay attention to the words. We need to either mean the words we sing or don't sing at all.

Why? Well, just singing meaningless words doesn't give glory to God. But, if you sing worshipful lyrics, and really mean them, you are glorifying God through your songs. And, you don't have to just sing three hymns in church on Sunday-you can sing all the time. The Bible says, "Let my mouth continually sing your praises." (or something to that effect). We don't have to sing all the time, but when we do, let's sing for God's glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, Sarah, that's great and so true! I've found myself doing the same thing! It's so easy to just sing through the songs with your mind on something else, but if you listen to the words and mean them, pour out your heart to God, it means so much more.
Thanks for posting this!
~Kaylie
p.s. you sing great!

Brittney said...

Hey girl! I just read your post prior to this one. It was such a blessing to hear. Isn't God good!