Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Is He REALLY Enough?

If you listen to Christian music, you know who Chris Tomlin is. For those who don't, he wrote How Great is Our God, Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone), Enough, Indescribable, Holy is the Lord...And tons more. But, tonight in worship, we sang Enough. The gist of the song is that God is enough for you. But, during the song, I was thinking, "Is he REALLY enough? Could I live without everything but God? Is he truly all I ever want?" Well, sadly, I can't say that he is all I want in this life. I have my desires, that probably aren't God's. But, sadly enough, people don't think God is enough for them. They look for satisfaction in fame, money, love, recognition, work, food, and many other things. But, these things are all temporary. They don't last. In fact, the only thing that does last is God. God is the only thing that has always been and will always be. He doesn't have a beginning and he doesn't have an end. That, in and of itself, is hard to wrap my mind around. I can't imagine anything that didn't ever begin or end. Everything I've ever known on this earth has a beginning, or has ended. Except God. The same God who will always be is telling you that he wants to be all you want. He wants to be everything you need. He wants you to know that whether you realize it or not, you are completely dependent on him. He is enough. Let's look at a few examples in scripture, to see how God truly provided everything for people.
Abraham: God sent him away from his homeland, yet he never suffered materially. In fact, he depended on God and he didn't let him down.
David: He knew he would be King someday, but he didn't want to push it. He knew that God would put him there in the right time.
Jeremiah: Even though he was thrown in a cistern, he knew God would use him in some way.
Mary: She was just a young teenager, but she knew she could depend on God during her unexpected pregnancy.
Jesus: He never went without prayer, because he knew it was vital. He trusted God.
Paul: Although shipwrecked three times, snakebitten, and thrown in prison numerous times, he knew God wasn't through with him yet.
I could go on and on, but those are just a few. But, my point is this. God was enough for them, in their lives. He is enough for you. You just have to wholly trust on him, and believe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have no idea how much i needed to read this right now.-thanks, love, Lana