Friday, May 18, 2007

Being the Salt of the Earth

Matthew 5:13 says, "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet."
What is Jesus saying here? Jesus tells us that we are the salt of the earth. Why salt? Well, salt makes things taste better, it brings out the flavor in things.
So, if you think about it, God is telling us that we liven up the earth.
But, consider the next part of the verse: "...But if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?" Well, I don't believe that this is saying that we lose our salvation, I believe that once you are saved, nothing can take you out of God's hands. But, I do believe that you can lose your potency as a Christian. You might be living with sin in your life. You might not be talking to God, reading the word, or going to church. Those things can cause you not to be such an effective Christian. Hence, you lose some of your "saltiness." But I believe that God can restore your effectiveness, if you ask him. But, you do need to get rid of that sin, get in the Word, pray, and go to church. Sometimes it might not be the most thrilling thing in the world, but you should still do it.
So, today, be salty. Try to become even more salty. Ask God to help you.

Discussion Questions:
1.) Do you believe that what I said was true? If not, explain why.
2.) There are many verses where God compares us to things other than salt. Can you find any? Also, include any comments you have about the verses.
Please remember to be gracious. This is a discussion, not an argument. Please remember to honor God with the words that you say. Soli Deo Gloria!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay no one else has been "discussing" so i will!

in answer to the first question, yes, i do think that what you said is very true, actually i know it's true, because i have seen it in my own life. i start to get a little away from God, i am not reading my Bible or praying as much as i should, and i lose some of my zeal for telling others about Him and living for Him. It's great to be in the fellowship of other Christians and to read your Bible and worship and pray to Him every day! It really makes a difference and I encourage you all to try it if you don't.

About the second question...
Ephesians 5:8 "For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light"
Matthew 5:14 “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden."
I think this, like salt, is something we have to strive to live up to.

Psalm 112:4 "Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; He is gracious, and full of compassion, and righteous."

"Unto the upright there arises light", we need to be upright so that His light will shine through us.

anyway... that's what i came up with, and if any of that's not right, feel free to edit, Sarah, or to not post it. Also, for all of you, a great site to look up things on is BibleGateway.com... really cool!
ttyl,
Emy

Anonymous said...

Hi "Grace"~
I couldn't remember if I had ever commented you before so I thought I would just let you know that I enjoy reading your blog from time to time ever since my sister has showed it to me. I wanted to tell you how much I love the name of your blog! That is so creative! Have you ever heard the song "Soli Deo Gloria" by Watermark?
~HannahS

Anonymous said...

(1) I think you are right. None of us are as "salty" as we should be and we can't be made salty again by ourselves. Even when God helps us be salty it takes all our might to season the world like we're supposed to!
(2) Emy took all the verses!!!!

Anonymous said...

ok! i got another good one, Sarah! :D sheep!! we've talked about this before but it IS a very good analogy!! But you know what? I think i'll just write a whole thing about that and post it on my blog sometime... whaddaya think??
~emy

Unknown said...

here's another thing to ponder: Salt makes people thirsty.

See John 4, Jesus's conversation with the samaritan women at Jacob's well. John 4:10 Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come: and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

I think part of being the salt of the earth is to give people a desire, a thirst, for Christ.
How can we do this?

One way I can think of to do this is to glorify God by letting his strength show in our lives.
Psalm 34: 1-8 I will extol the LORD at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
My soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
This poor man called, and the LORD heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Another thing I noticed here were the words "those who look to him are *radiant*" radiance, to me, means light... So anyway there we go, salt and light... What do ya'll think?
BtW Emy, I thought those were some great verses.
Excellent point, Meggy, we can't make ourselves salty... Never thought of it that way before.

hey Gracie, love you girl, and I'm proving it, see!?! I'll see you soon, until then, I pray that we can both live up to our names ( yours meaning Grace, and mine meaning Light, Beautiful, and Rock)
I am praying for all of you readers of Grace's blog, and I think that having discussions here could really bless us and help us grow...
love,
Lana

Anonymous said...

HannahS,
No, I haven't. Is it good? I'll have to listen to it sometime.

Thanks for all the discussion!
~God's Grace